Chocolate Walnut Cake
Preparation Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 35-45 min (baking)
Total Time: 55-65 min
Serves: 1 Kg
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 3/4 cups refined wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon Auris ‘CHOCOLATE 24K’ Premium Food Flavour
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- CHOCOLATE ICING
- 3/4 cup margarine, softened
- 3 1/2 cups icing sugar sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon Auris™ ‘CHOCOLATE 24K’ Premium Food Flavour
- 1 cup walnut halves
- ½ cup chocolate sauce
- Line an 8 inch round cake tin with a non-stick parchment or greased greaseproof paper.
- Cream the sugar and softened butter together until pale and fluffy.
- Gradually beat the eggs into the batter.
- Fold in the flour, Auris ‘CHOCOLATE 24K’ Premium Food Flavour, cocoa powder, baking powder and walnuts.
- In the prepared tin, add spoons of the mixture and smooth the surface.
- Bake in the centre of moderate oven, 180°C for 35-45 minutes or until the cake feels springy to touch.
- Cool the cake by turning it onto the wire rack.
- Cut the cake into 2 layers.
- Beat together the margarine, icing sugar, Auris™ ‘CHOCOLATE 24K’ Premium Food Flavour, chocolate sauce and water until smooth.
- Sandwich the cake layers together with some of the icing.
- Spread more icing over the top and side of the cake.
- Pipe the icing in swirls around the edge of the cake, topping each swirl with a walnut half.